The budget we had for this project was just enough to cover crew and a colour grade. The colour grade was something I pushed for as so much emphasis was going to be put on the look of the film to represent mood, especially the introduction. This is something i’m very glad we budgeted for when we saw the end result. Otherwise there was no equipment budget, limiting us to what I had and could borrow.
We shot this on a Sony A7Rii with a couple clips shot on the Sony RX100Mk4. The A7Rii would suffer in low light, however as the look we were going for was quite degraded this worked in our favour. The introduction especially looked quite grizzly. For the riding sections it handled fine, only lightly struggling in the shadows in the fading light of the woods. Ideally I would have loved at least one spotlight for the woods to sharpen up a few of the shadows we had on Dom’s body, but we worked with what we had. Lens choice was limited to the following;
It was a good focal range, tho the 24mm came out soft in areas. If budget allowed there’s a plethora of solid lenses out there i’d have loved to use. Thankfully the T1.4 on the 50 and 24 allowed a good amount of light in for the wooded shots. The T3.8 zoom struggled a little bit but we kept an eye on light conditions to maximise results. They worked.
I was a little apprehensive about the rolling shutter issues with some of the tracking shots we were going to capture to join up the jumps. We had discussed putting an 8mm film grain effect over some clips to add to the degraded feel of it. So I suggested filming some of the tracking shots at a slow shutter speed to increase motion blur. I shot a few sections at around 1/12 and these sections we ended up using with a super 8 filter I built in After Effects. Additionally our grader Dan put a wonderful grain over it. Because of all the motion blur it’s hard to spot any lag with the rolling shutter. As a result for the final piece it wasn’t really an issue.